Search This Blog

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Why I've Come to Despise Labeling

Humanity loves labels. It loves the ability to take the unique personalities of individuals and classify them into simple categories in which a label becomes affixed. We do this in everything. For instance, a Christian, Muslim and Buddhist are categorized as "religious" people when what they represent actually goes beyond religion. On sports teams, we have "elite players" and "role players" to continually differentiate between those who grab the attention and those who don't. In some ways, it is helpful to have labels. But in others, it becomes very harmful and even dangerous when considering a person's worldview.

How many people think that most Muslims are aggressive terrorists? How many people think that all Black women have attitudes? How many people think that Black men are not responsible? How many people think that Asians only care about money? How many people think that all "conservatives" are Christian and that all "liberals" lack morality? How many people think that husbands are more likely to be abusive than wives? These things have to do with the stereotypes and labels that are constantly portrayed in our society and many people accept it hook, line and sinker. I used to buy into many of these labels myself until as I got older and the more people I met, I realized that each individual is unique and different--meaning that not everybody is meant to fit into simple, compact categories. And honestly, I have to admit, that when I see certain traits, I have to actually catch myself so that I don't go into labeling mode.

Lately, there has been a very divisive issue going on in America. Children, who are crossing the border from other countries, are being transported to multiple destinations throughout the United States. For some, to embrace the children rather than send them away is what is best. For others, the considerations that come with such an influx of persons outside of the country lead the conclusion that the children should be deported. It's a hot issue and I understand both sides of this. But is the greater public willing to show the same understanding?

I can't tell you how many times I've heard and read people calling those who are protesting what is happening at the border "racists." Indeed, I have seen examples of racist behavior from some of the protesters, but not everyone who disagrees with what is happening is a racist. And the people who have compassion for the children are not blind to the ramifications of having an addition to the country. What I have noticed is that once people develop labels for others and put them to use, it allows them to disregard their cause altogether so that we can never truly gain understanding about why the other side feels the way it does. It happens a lot nowadays and I have seen it from the Trayvon Martin case, the Donald Serling controversy, same-sex marriage, and in my opinion, even the Holocaust. And once you've been labeled, if you don't get with the program, then people don't want to listen to what you have to say, even if there is validity in what you are saying. I don't agree with this and we miss out on the "why" in a lot of things because of it.

One of the biggest things I despise about labeling is that idea that we can know who a person is and fully judge the intentions of that person's heart based on the label. This is wrong. Think of two robbers. One robs because he is trying to put food on the table for his wife and children. The other robs because taking away from people gives him some sort of twisted pleasure. While they both commit the same crime, these are two different people doing it. They wouldn't fit under one label. I understand that we have to make choices based off of people's actions but to try and claim we totally know a person is arrogant. And this is coming from somebody who has been that arrogant person myself. So I know.

We can change this though. What it would take is a deliberate effort to make sure that we judge each person as an individual. We don't assume and jump to conclusions about others based on stereotypes and labels. We make our judgments based on what we directly experience from the person's character and behavior. This doesn't mean that we don't use wisdom either. What it does mean is that we give people a fair shake and try to understand where they're coming from even if it is something that we can never agree with. I think we can do much better in that regard.

Still growing,

LandoRigs

No comments:

Post a Comment