Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Everybody is Important

A few months ago, when I attended a Toastmasters meeting, I did kind of an impromptu speech on one of my most character-building experiences that I had when I was a substitute teacher in my mid-20s. It was my second speech since I had become a member and I decided right at the meeting that I wanted to do it.

I remember getting a call one morning (as I normally did when I was given an assignment for the day) and I was asked if I would be willing to fill in for a custodian that day. As I was pondering whether I wanted to accept the assignment or not, the lady on the line told me that she had asked others if they would do it but everybody else declined. I'm not going to lie, my first instinct was to the do same and turn it down outright. I envisioned the nastiness and filth that I would encounter during the day, especially when dealing with a boys locker room. But as a freelancer that worked three different jobs at the time, I knew an extra $100 in my pocket would help me out so I accepted and reported to my assignment.

Instead of getting a room key and reporting to a classroom as I normally did as a sub, I collected a set of keys from the office and headed to the boys locker room. Apparently I was going to be filling in for the custodian who handled the upkeep of that area. My job would be to sweep and mop the floor of the locker room area throughout the day. There was also some window and mirror cleaning in there as well. Later in the afternoon, I would need to clean the bathroom area, which meant the sinks, toilets and urinals. It was on that day that I came to truly appreciate what custodians do for our schools and other businesses throughout the country. It's one thing to see it but it is a completely different thing to actually put on another person's shoes and do their job.

The faces of the students, who were used to seeing me as a sub in their regular classrooms, were priceless but I am thankful that they didn't poke fun at me nor did they do anything to make cleaning the bathrooms any more unpleasant. Sure it was humbling, but I decided to go at it with a positive attitude and found that I actually had a good and rewarding day with it. I was able to get some good exercise for my arms and was satisfied with the job that I did. When I had free time between periods, I was in the P.E. office talking to the teachers and other custodians. What I thought was going to be a disaster that one day turned into a three-day assignment that I'm glad to have done. What I didn't know was that I had gotten such rave reviews on the first day that the substitute caller told me that they were requesting me for the next two days. This assignment not only provided some much needed money but also a greater appreciation for some of the people in our society that are too many times undervalued and underappreciated.



Reflecting on my 3-day stint as a custodian takes me back to Ben, who was the custodian at my elementary school. I remember him because he always greeted the kids and even played foursquare with us, though he always cheated. Cheating custodians might be a good topic for another blog entry. Then I think of Matt, who worked as a custodian at a high school I substituted for and is now retired and enjoying life. Matt was a special guy, who had high school graduates coming back just to say hello to him and current students stepping over each other just to be able to tell him about their day. When I worked in Claremont, I met custodians who had that same glow that reminded me of Ben and Matt. And I realized, not only do these people make the schools our kids go to look decent, they are also the ones who many times can brighten their day.

I share this experience because we live in a society that puts such an emphasis who makes the most money, who gets the most attention and who holds the highest position. But many times, the greatest workhorses of our society are the ones whose names we will never know, the people who don't get to live in the nice two-story house with the white picket fence and who only wear a suit when they go to church on Sunday. We forget that without these people and their hard work, our society can't function the way it does and the conveniences that we have would cease to exist immediately. Our society constantly promotes the Bill Gates, Oprah Winfreys and Beyonces of the world but what they can do is only the result of the efforts of others as well. We must remember that.

I have heard on many occasions people act as if their success was of their own accord and it disturbs me because it is absolutely impossible for somebody to be successful on their own. Ponder that and really take time to think about it. In no way am I taking away anybody's great accomplishments, but how many people lent a helping hand in some way, shape or form along the way? A great business person needs to have clients or else there is no business. A director of a film needs actors and a crew or else there is no film. A company that mass produces a product needs workers or else the company could never create enough supply to meet the demand. A successful sports team has to surround its star player with other good players or they won't even make the playoffs, let alone win a championship. Even with the examples that I have provided, there are countless others that are still a significant part of those scenarios that I didn't mention. I could supply an endless amount of other examples but I hope you get the point.

We all need each other and we all rely on each other, whether we take the time to realize it or not. The very people that we look down on as a society are the very people that are vital to the conveniences and luxuries that we enjoy in life. So, let's not look down on others and throw our nose up at people because the work and life that they live is less than glamorous to us. Instead, let's be more appreciative and show more gratitude to the people who are just as much the backbone to our society as anyone else is. They are just as important in the big picture as everyone else. 

And if we really understood this, we would treat each other much better, wouldn't we?

We'll do this again,

LandoRigs

No comments:

Post a Comment