Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

"I Love You" in Action


There are so many ways in life that we can show our love to others. One way is to another person that you love him or her. But the most powerful and lasting display of love tends to be an action that a person does. This is even the case in the Christian faith as John notes in his epistle that God's love isn't shown by what He said but by what He did.

This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.
-1 John 4:9 (NIV)

For me, there was an expression of love that hit very close to home two years ago. When I was in the hospital and being diagnosed with my kidney disease, I was very weak. I was at a point where I could barely talk and I was on my back in a hospital bed for days. It was a time when my wife experienced the worse of the "better or worse" that was exchanged in our vows. My condition totally changed our lives. And when everything first happened, it was scary. I had never felt so helpless. I had to rely on God in a way I never had to up to that point. But what my wife did for me during that hospital stay is something that I will always be thankful for. She is truly the best woman I have ever known.

I can remember the days when my wife was walking with me by my side when I was trying to muster up enough strength to walk again. At first, I could only take so many steps because my body was so weak. I had to overcome my fear of collapsing while I walked. It was both physical and mental for me. But my wife was with me as those short walks in the hall of the hospital became easier as the days passed by. She made a makeshift bed next to mine in the room when she spent the night in the hospital with me. She constantly checked in with the nurses to make sure that I had the best care. My wife was there when I needed her the most and loved me when I needed it the most. And to this day, she still does.

My wife wasn't the only one who showed love to me during that time. Family, friends and even people I had no idea cared so much expressed their love in a way that I can never repay. I am thankful for each and every person that was a part of it. This post is my chance to show that appreciation and to let them know that I love them too.

Thankful to be alive,

LandoRigs

No comments:

Post a Comment